Thursday, November 13, 2008

Booking Through Thursday


I’ve asked, in the past, about whether you more often buy your books, or get them from libraries. What I want to know today, is, WHY BUY?

Even if you are a die-hard fan of the public library system, I’m betting you have at least ONE permanent resident of your bookshelves in your house. I’m betting that no real book-lover can go through life without owning at least one book. So … why that one? What made you buy the books that you actually own, even though your usual preference is to borrow and return them?

If you usually buy your books, tell me why. Why buy instead of borrow? Why shell out your hard-earned dollars for something you could get for free?

Oh boy. I buy books because I love them. I can't help myself. I love the way a new book feels and smells. I also like being a mini library for my friends and coworkers. I do get books from the Library of Congress when I can't afford a book I want to read or for older books, but when I have money--it gets spent on books. It is often hard to get popular books from the LOC as all the other staffers want to check them out and they can keep them for like 30+ days.

It is kind of a bad habit, but I always tell my mom that a book addiction is better than a drug addiction. I just recently started using paperbackswap.com, but i almost feel like i spend more on postage than on books (which isn't really true, it just feels that way). In the end, I like books and I like spending my money on them--it makes me happy.


BTW I'm giving away a free copy of Drood, by Dan Simmons. Sign up on this post.

3 comments:

Beth F said...

I also tell people that a book addiction is harmless -- as long as you watch that checkbook balance!

Mae said...

There should be a bookaholic anonymous - I feel giddy simply looking at shelves and shelves of books. Pure Bliss. If they're mine - even better!

Smilingsal said...

I try to NOT go into bookstores because it's so difficult to say no. Here's my answer.
http://bookcritiques.blogspot.com/2008/11/booking-through-thursday.html