Thursday, November 20, 2008

Booking Through Thursday

Today's Booking Through Thursday:

Do you think reviewers are obligated to put up a good review of a book, even if they don’t like it? Have we come to a point where reviewers *need* to put up disclaimers to (hopefully) save themselves from being harassed by unhappy authors who get negative reviews?

Well, the short answer is no. Reviewers should never feel obligated to write a good review, if the reviewer thought the book was bad. Not every book that is published will suit every reader, and plenty of crap books are published all the time. And I don't really see anything wrong with pointing that out. It is important to be honest; however, there is no need to be disrespectful.

I have a tendency to read books that I am pretty sure I will like, and I usually do. Sometimes I will find fault with style or not be completely in love with it, and I'll say so. I just recently started this blog, and only recently started reading books that have been sent to me, so I haven't experienced any negative comments from authors. I'd probably be mad though if an author did that. I'd imagine that most if not all bloggers and reviewers aren't paid PR agents---I am just here to read and discuss and if I find fault with something, then I'll say that. No one is paying me to say nice things about these books.

4 comments:

Book Lover Lisa said...

I tend to read books that I know I will like, also. Which is why most of my reviews are fairly positive. Good point, we are not paid for reviewing, though it would be nice to get something for all the time I spend reading :)

Beth F said...

RYC: I'll be waiting for your Sookie reviews. I'm definitely going to keep with the series. Thanks for stopping by.

Smilingsal said...

I choose titles that I think I will like, but I have been disappointed. What I read, I will review; I have written some negative reviews in a professional manner. We do not need to be mean-spirited just because some author cannot write.

gautami tripathy said...

There are a few reviewers who are obnoxious in the their reviews. They even cast aspirations on the authors character. Do we need to resort to such drastic measures?

Read my BTT post!