Monday, November 3, 2008

Musing Mondays

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about boys and reading…

Do you know of any young boys who do not like to read? Why do you think boys so often don’t? What can we do to encourage them to read more? So, what do you think? How do you encourage young boys to read more, or how would you? And, if you have a differing opinion, let’s hear it!

I don't know many young boys, and I don't really know their reading habits anyway. But I can say that my dad is not a big reader, but he will read Tom Clancy books and he read a few of the Harry Potter books. He reads the paper everyday and also reads political blogs. So even though he's not reading books, he still gets some reading in. My boyfriend, as I've said before, doesn't like to read. He doesn't get much enjoyment out of it, and sees it as a task. I guess it just has to do with priorities and taste. He likes science and math, I like reading and writing. I don't even try to encourage him, he's stuck in his ways. Maybe if he had stumbled upon "that book" when he was a little younger, it would be different.

4 comments:

Beth F said...

I don't think there are any easy answers.

gautami tripathy said...

My brothers do read but mostly technical books.

My Musings

Heather J. said...

I was married to my husband for 8 yrs before he picked up a book by choice. Over the past two years he's discovered one author that he really likes and has slowly worked through all of his books. I was TOTALLY shocked by this - like you, I never pushed him to read.

At this point my son still likes being read to, but only if I don't make him sit still. We're reading a very long book right now and he likes to play while I read. Whatever works!

"Confuzzled" Shannon said...

I think is different for every child on how they are brought up on reading. For some reason with boys you have to be more creative ...I think.