Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Review: An Abundance of Katherines


An Abundance of Katherines
by John Green

Stats:

Published by: Penguin Group
Pages: 256
ISBN-13: 9780525476887
Genre: YA

Synopsis: Colin Singleton, former child prodigy, has been dumped for the nineteenth time by a Katherine. To help him recover, his friend Hassan takes him on a road trip. And since all road trips must end some where, their trip ends in rural Tennessee where Colin must face the truth about himself and what really matters.

Thoughts: This book reminded me somewhat of The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, mainly because of the use of silly footnotes, but also in the irreverent tone. (But not the overall tone, this is much lighter fare.) It is all over the top: the characters, the plot, the language...but it works for me. The relationships are still believable, the dialogue rings true, and Colin's eventual insights into himself are genuine. On top of it all, the book is a total crack-up. I was laughing from start to finish. The recurring joke that got me every time was "dingleberries." And if you want to know why, you have to read, because I won't do it justice.

Rating: 5 out of 5. Read it. I couldn't put it down.

Challenges: Countdown Challenge for year 2006

1 comment:

Beth F said...

Thanks for the review. I've been thinking of reading this for a while. I have Green's Looking for Alaska on my MP3 player, so I'll likely get to that one first.