Friday, November 21, 2008

Review: Dead as a Doornail

Dead as a Doornail
by Charlaine Harris

Stats:

Published by: Ace Books
Pages: 320
ISBN-13: 9780441013333
Genre: Vampire

Synopsis:

There is a sniper in town picking off shapeshifters and the local pack of werepanthers believe Jason to be the culprit. Sookie has to find out who is really responsible for the shootings before the werepanthers take action.

Thoughts:

Well as usual, I enjoyed this book. I read it in one day---starting at work and then finishing it up before bed. Again, I thought the dynamic between Sookie and Eric was interesting. Her relationship with Alcide is mighty complicated. I think it is interesting that for all the "men" interested in Sookie, the only ones she has given into have been Bill and Eric. My favorite scene is when Mickey attacks Sookie and Eric. Just picturing Eric's face and actions after being asked to sweep the floor clear of glass was priceless. Killer moment.

As I've complained before, the wrap-up of the overarching plot was weak. The shooter was predictable, even if you didn't catch the last twist completely---you'll probably suspect---and the Bon Temps police force will accept any explanation for a shooting, apparently. It will also be interesting to see how the story plays out in regards to Calvin Norris, who so obviously wants a piece of Sookie for himself, and the new Shreveport packmaster.

I've ordered the last three books, and I can't wait! Hopefully, I'll get them by Thanksgiving.

Rating: 3 1/2 out of 5.

Challenge: Countdown Challenge for year 2005.

4 comments:

Beth F said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth F said...

Ok, let me try that again: Thanks for the review. Now I have to catch up to you -- I'm two books behind.

I guess Jason is the go-to guy when they don't know who else to blame.

Laza said...

Beth, I'm excited for you to catch up. I'm definitely interested in your take.

J. Kaye Oldner said...

I have only read the first in this series and stopped. True Blood has me interested in the series again. I think I'll get started again in 2009. I ready have too many on my nightstand for 2008.