Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sunday Salon (11/23/08)

Well, this week has been a different kind of reading week. The week felt so long and unproductive, but when I look back, I realize I finished 3 books.

If you are one of the few that read my blog, you know that I had a rough week last week. This week was a little better, time always helps.

In my zeal to read a bunch of books this month I've started so many that I've had a hard time closing them out. I did manage to finish Outliers and you can see my review here. I also started two new books and finished them ahead of the others I have been reading: Dead to the World and Dead as a Doornail, by Charlaine Harris. You can see my reviews here and here, respectively.

I'm still working on Drood, but I've made some good progress. I've got about 200 pages to go. I had to start rereading The Liar's Club, which I used for my Teaser Tuesday, and start Friday Night Lights, for class. I have to have these 2 read by Tuesday, so at least I know I'll finish something this week! My last book for class is The Devil's Highway, so I will have to start that soon as well.

I also have a big paper I have to write about a nonfiction author due in a few weeks. I think I'm going to write about Jon Krakauer because he is an AMAZING nonfiction writer and I've read 3 of his books already.

On the burner I still have The Heretic's Daughter and The Omnivore's Dilemma. Both of which I am dying to dedicate more time to. I've been having this recurring "nightmare" where I realize that I've been skipping my English class because I forgot about it but still attending a science class. And in the dream I'm all upset because I can't remember why I haven't gone to the class nor can I find out what I've missed or what I need for the next class. It is a stressful dream!!! I guess I'm having anxiety over all these unfinished books. :)

I also joined another challenge, which makes like 2000 I've started. I may not be able to do them all, I don't typically read in such a structured way, but I will smash this one: 2009 Young Adult Reading Challenge.

But my most exciting news is that I just ordered a TON of books from bn.com---and I didn't even have to pay for them!!! I used a gift card I received for my birthday and a $100 gift card I received for a rewards payment on my credit card. (I only had to spend thousands of dollars to get it---oops.)

Here's what I've ordered:
  • Blood and Chocolate
  • Fledgling
  • The Hunger Games
  • The Likeness
  • Skin Hunger
  • Cute Overload 2009 page a day calendar (not a book, but still way exciting)
  • Creepers
  • The Amulet of Samarkand
  • Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
  • Definitely Dead
  • All Together Dead
  • From Dead to Worse
All for a little over $125. Not too shabby. Now I just need to get my reading self in order.

2 comments:

Ms. Bookish said...

Sounds like you've got a great load of books coming your way! I always love placing an online order for books, but I love it more when they're paid for with gift cards!

Knopf Marketing said...

Dear fellow Stieg Larsson fan,

We’re trying something new for the launch of the second book in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series.
Run your own Stieg Larsson contest on your blog—for which we will provide the prizes (a free copy of The Girl Who Played with Fire, cool temporary dragon tattoos). The first thirty (30) entrants will get first dibs of the translated manuscript of book three. Below you’ll find the complete rules and regulations.

Click here http://knopfdoubleday.com/blogger-contest-stieg-larsson
for contest entry

Visit the Stieg Larsson site http://stieglarsson.net/
for more info

Friend http://www.facebook.com/salander1Lisbeth on Facebook

Follow
http://twitter.com/aaknopf us on Twitter

RULES & REGULATIONS
The first 250 bloggers to enter their information (name, blog name, blog URL mailing address, and daytime phone number) will obtain the giveaway material (one (1) copy of The Girl who Played with Fire and a batch of temporary tattoos) to host a sweepstakes on their blog. The first 30 bloggers to enter will also receive (1) copy of the manuscript of the third Stieg Larsson thriller at the time of its in-house release. All applications to participate will have to be received by 11:59 pm (Eastern Daylight Time) on August 15, 2009. U.S. Residents only. Bloggers are solely responsible for the administration of the sweepstakes on their blogs.

Thanks,
The A.A. Knopf Marketing Team