Friday, April 17, 2009

About Me and My Blog

Hello, my name is Laza. I am a book addict. I'm addicted to buying books, reading books, borrowing books, writing about books, thinking about books, obsessively databasing my books, and reading book blogs.

A bit about me:

I'm in my mid-twenties and I work a full-time job in the Senate where I proofread and edit legislation and a part-time job writing minutes. I'm also a grad student at George Mason University. I've been a voracious reader all my life, despite a slow down during high school and undergrad. I started picking back up my near the end of my sophomore year of college. But it has really been the last couple of years that I have begun to hit a stride.

Why blog?

I started this blog to become part of the community. When I started I had NO idea what I was getting myself into! There are so many book bloggers out there and so many different things to participate in. When I started, I didn't really give much thought about the purpose of this blog. (Much in the way I do most things in life). I created it because I wanted to. I don't have many friends that read like I do, so I wanted to meet and communicate with people like me.

I realize now, that just by being a book blogger, I've become part of this larger question of purpose and legitimacy. This larger discussion (and because of this post) has made me think about why I'm doing this. And I believe my answer is still the same. Because I love it. Because I love books and talking about books. And that has become a love of blogging about books. And because I love the people.

Amy from My Friend Amy, made a great point about the demands of blogging. She says:
I've read that the average time a person blogs is 6 months. Then they get bored, start neglecting it, see it as a chore to continue, and give up. I remember an excellent blog I subscribed to...after six months, they said it was starting to feel like work and they just wanted it to be fun. So they quit.

Blogging is not just my hobby, it's my serious hobby. I consider blogging to be a serious hobby. Yes, sometimes it feels like work. Sometimes I don't feel like doing it. But I keep it up, because I know I can only get better if I keep working at it.
Even in the short life of my blog (I'm in and around that six-month mark), I've sometimes felt like it was work. But I really strive to keep it simple and fun. I post when and about what I want and nothing more. I work has hard as I want to at it. Some people will read, and some won't. Trish, from Hey Lady! Whatcha Readin'?, compared it to a high school popularity contest. In many ways I definitely think she is right. Everyone has those moments of "Am I good enough?" But I approach this much the way I did in high school, and definitely the way I approach life now: You will like me or you won't. You will read me or you won't. Does that mean that some publishers or authors won't want to send me ARCs? Probably. Oh well. I'll probably read it at some point anyway.

So, I hope you'll read me. If you think I've missed you, and I need to add you to my reader, shoot me an email. I'll gladly add you.

2 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Congratulations on sticking with it!
It's not always fun - just keep sight of the original reason you started this blog.

L. Diane Wolfe
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net

Deborah said...

oh how weird! i just found your link from you entering my contest, and i'm a grad student at GMU too!!! history!