Sunday, April 12, 2009

Read-a-Thon Details

This coming Saturday, April 18, 2009 is Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon!!!

As I've said before, this is my first Read-a-Thon. I'm so excited to participate. I have no idea how much I'll be able to read or how long I'll actually stay awake. But I'm prepared to go all out.

I absolutely loved the idea of reading for a cause, so I decided to get my friends and family to sponsor me. I'll be donating proceeds to Action Against Hunger, which is an organization committed "to saving the lives of malnourished children and their families while ensuring access to safe water and sustainable solutions to hunger". Action Against Hunger operates in over 40 countries across the globe and has been assessed top marks from several independent organizations, including the Better Business Bureau and the American Institute of Philanthropy.

I've got a few pledges already, and I'll do a more comprehensive post closer to the actual event. If you are reading this, and are interesting in sponsoring me, shoot me an email or leave me a comment.

I'm following the lead of several other bloggers and creating a list of "possibles". I'm planning on reading mostly shorter YA books. I don't want to get bogged down or sleepy, which happens sometimes with longer or more difficult titles. Anything is really up for grabs that day, but I'm going to have a "ready-to-read" stack next to me.

Here's the list:
  • Blood and Chocolate
  • The Hunter's Moon
  • The 13 Clocks
  • Tithe
  • The Sword Thief
  • Graceling
  • Wintergirls
  • Gods Behaving Badly
  • Shakespeare's Christmas
  • The Pine Barrens
  • A Wizard of Earthsea
  • Fade
  • The Arctic Incident
  • Murder in the Latin Quarter
  • Uglies
  • M is for Magic
I've also ordered some books from the Library of Congress, so if they get delievered to me on time, I'll be adding those to the list too. I think I ordered the Luxe series and some Shannon Hale books, along with Shirley Jackson and a couple of short story collections.

I AM SO EXCITED!!!!

4 comments:

Beth F said...

Looks like a super list! I know you're going to have a blast.

Nymeth said...

I love your list! And your enthusiasm. You'll have a great time, you'll see.

Kim said...

What a great list! This will be my first time to participate also and I am very excited. I need to gather my books so I have a big variety also.
*smiles and see you around Saturday!*
Kim

♔ jessica.marie said...

Yeah I was really excited about reading for 24 hours earlier in the week but now when I think about I just get sleepy lol ;) so we will have to encourage each other on Saturday!