Monday, April 6, 2009

Review Policy

I've seen a bunch of these go up lately, and after reading this post referred by Farm Lane Books, I figure I need to jump on the bandwagon as well.

Contact me at: gimmemorebooks10 at gmail dot com

Policies:
  • Pitches: By all means, pitch me your book. I love reading new things and I love getting free things. So try me. See below for a list of my favorite genres/subgenres. I typically don't read "chick" lit, romance, or self-help books. But maybe your book is amazing, if so, I'd hate to miss it.
  • Reviews: I'm into completing these challenges I've started, and one is to review every book I read. So, I'm going to review it whether I like it or not. But, I won't be disrespectful toward an author. I'll criticize the book, not the author. And, most books usually have redeeming qualities, I won't leave those out.
  • Timeframe: This one is tough. If you absolutely have to have it by a certain time, let me know. If I'm honest, I have to say that it is possible I might not get it done on time. I work two jobs and I go to grad school, so I fall behind. (Not to mention, I'm a procrastinator.) I write this blog for fun and to be a part of a community. I won't kill myself over these things.
  • Compensation: I don't get monetary compensation of any kind for writing on this blog. Review copies are the only thing I receive. I don't want compensation either. Then it would be a job.
  • Review copies/ARCs: I'm stingy, I keep them. Unless you beg me to give them away. I'm a book hoarder by nature.
  • Site traffic: I have no idea. I'm a part of the community, that's all that has mattered to me.
  • Review posts: When I'm being a good blogger, I post links to my reviews on Goodreads, LibraryThing, and Twitter. I've had one post picked up by Basil and Spice for republishing.
Genres I'll definitely read (but I'm not limited to):
  • Young Adult or Middle Grade Fantasy and Science Fiction. I LOVE YA/MG fantasy series. (fantasy, fable, folklore, magic, fairies, please please puhleeeeese gimme me.)
  • Young Adult Literature. (Preferably not gossip girl type books)
  • Contemporary Literature. (Western or world lit)
  • Dystopian Literature.
  • Graphic novels.
  • Long-form journalism and literary nonfiction. (I'm not an expert in any field. I typically review these on their literary merits.)
  • Literary memoirs.
  • Books adapted into films.
  • Short story anthologies or collections. (I'm really trying to up my intake of short stories. I'm even taking a grad class in Fall 2009)
I love being introduced to new things, so even if I didn't list it, give me a try. You can check out my goodreads profile to see what I've read over the last few years. If you're giving away review copies of Kathleen Duey's next book in the Resurrection of Magic series, or the next in the Hunger Games series, I'm absolutely DYING to read those.

2 comments:

Literary Feline said...

Very thorough and clear policy, Laza. I think you did a great job with it.

DW Golden said...

Perhaps you would be interested in reading my first book. It's got fairies. ;)

DW Golden
Soar with Fairies in a new young adult novel: Purple Butterflies