Monday, April 6, 2009

Subscriptions

So, I've been in a online frenzy lately and I recently purchased a few new literary subscriptions. Does anyone subscribe to these? Are there any publications out there that you consider must haves?

Virginia Quarterly Review:
From the website:
Each issue has contained work both moving and memorable; each has sought to provide the best that contemporary literature can offer...And VQR has not only published the most celebrated names of contemporary writing; equally it has welcomed writers whose names were unknown until they appeared in its pages. VQR hews to one simple standard in its selection of writers: excellence. VQR has thus made good its purpose of becoming a national publication of popularity and prestige, of independence and integrity. Readable and responsible, it is also entertaining. Though fresh as tomorrow's newspaper, each issue—read cover to cover upon publication—will still have value a decade later.


World Literature Today:
From the website:
Six times a year, World Literature Today brings you the whole world in every issue. It features interviews and original poetry and fiction, lively essays on writers representing dozens of major and minor languages, special coverage of transnational issues and trends, book reviews that span the globe, authors on books that changed their lives, travel writing, a column on children’s literature, author profiles, and coverage of the other arts, culture, and politics as it intersects with literature.
Other publications:

New York Review of Books (I got a professional discount for some reason)
One Story
Bookmarks

5 comments:

Carl Brookins said...

I subscribe to some mystery mags 'cause that's my bent. I read WLT at the library, NYTBR on line or at the library, subscribe to mags with book stuff in them. New Yorker, CrimeSpree, Ellery Queen, Mystery Scene, a couple others I can't recall at the moment, I also read a wide range of blogs and news groups for reviews and info about books. Sometimes drowining in information.

Literary Feline said...

I've been offered a professional discount for the New York Times Book Review too. :-) Maybe it is because we are book bloggers. That's the only thing I can think of.

Like you, I subscribe to WLT. I am not familiar with the other one you mention.

On the lighter side, I subscribe to Mystery Scene and Bookmarks as well.

bermudaonion said...

I'm not familiar with either of those magazines. I wouldn't get VQR because I don't like in Virginia - my son goes to school there, though, so I do visit every once in a while.

Waldo Jaquith, VQR said...

I'm not familiar with either of those magazines. I wouldn't get VQR because I don't like in Virginia - my son goes to school there, though, so I do visit every once in a while.

VQR is published in Virginia, it's not about Virginia. :) Besides, I'm a Virginia Tech alumnus, so there's at least one person at VQR who you should like. ;)

Laza said...

I do happen to be a lifelong Virginian, (and I went to JMU) but that's not why I purchased it. VQR has a great reputation. Not to mention a relatively affordable price. Plus, I like the online aspect as well. I'm excited to get the first one in the mail.