Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday

...or the "I swear I'm not reading the 'A' section in the dictionary Wednesday".

This weekly even is graciously hosted by BermudaOnion.


This happens to be my first Wondrous Words post, and for some strange reason all my words are "A" words.

avoirdupois (noun) weight, heaviness

"...screaming, straining and cleaning-and-jerking, as they raised the avoirdupois above their heads, their bodies shaking from side to side, in uncertainty, until they can stand motionless for three seconds, before they hear the sound of victory, and see the flag of legitimacy."
--p 132 The Polished Hoe, Austin Clarke

apocryphal (adjective) of doubtful authenticity

"The anecdote is apocryphal. I never wrote baseball for the Star."
--p 58 The Paris Review Interviews I

avuncular (adjective) suggestive of an uncle especially in kindness or geniality

"But the officer's contempt is not, as in other armies, avuncular theatricality."
--p 166 Slaughterhouse-five, Kurt Vonnegut

7 comments:

bermudaonion said...

That is so funny that all your words started with a this week. Thanks so much for playing along. (I love your header - is that your yard?)

Margot said...

I know avuncular because I had so many as a child. I'm glad you joined in this week. (I also love the tulips in your header. Such a nice sight when your blog comes on.)

avisannschild said...

I've seen the word apocryphal before but it sounds like its meaning should be the opposite of what it actually is!

Obsessed Reader said...

I have never heard of any of those words before...and they are hare to pronounce! LOL!

Beth F said...

Love your header!!!!

Anonymous said...

I also wrote down that word from A Polished Hoe because I swear I have never seen it before. By the way, I finally finished that awful book last night. I was hoping for a justification at the end as to why there was so much extra crap, but no, there was no justification for it. It just sucked.

Laza said...

I didn't finish The Polished Hoe. It was just way too slow. Prof. said that the guy had never written a novel before and he just "wrote" this and somehow a novel came out. I'm like, I beg to differ.