Monday, January 4, 2010

Mailbox Monday

Well I've been in a state of hiding for the last few days as the temperature in my area is in the teens and the wind has been blowing at what I swear is hurricane force. So, I managed to get out of the apartment today. Where did I go, you ask? Oh that's right. Barnes and Noble. Oops.

I went specifically to get Jasper Fforde's new book Shades of Grey as I've been waiting not-so-patiently for it for quite some time now. Well I got it. And I might have also bought:

  • The Shadow of the Wind, Carlos Ruiz Zafon
  • The Unit, Ninni Holmqvist
  • Jar City, Arnaldur Indridason
  • Out, Natsuo Kirino
And when I say "might," I mean that I did.

When I got home from this unexpected spending spree (Mom--I had a giftcard for part of it so don't yell at me when you read this) there were two paperbackswap books waiting for me at my door!!! I received Ghostwalk by Rebecca Stott and Sweetheart by Chelsea Cain--the sequel to Heartsick, which I'm reading now.

Sidenote: While I was at Barnes and Noble, I got to play with a Nook for the first time. Now, I own a Kindle DX (the big one) and I LOVE it, so when BN came out with another e-reader with e-Ink, I was like OH SHIT. I really prefer searching and buying books from bn.com. "There's no reason I need both," I chanted to myself. Then my cousin-in-law pre-ordered one. And I became a little jealous. Well, after playing around with it, I'm happy to say that I still think I made the right decision. I prefer the larger screen of my DX, and they don't have a Nook that size yet. Plus the color touch screen is a little cumbersome--especially if you are like me and have fat-finger syndrome. I would say that those of you who are iphone users probably wouldn't find it as cumbersome as I did, and the Kindle's purchase screen certainly leaves much to be desired. But after playing with the Nook, I didn't see anything special about it that makes me regret getting a Kindle.

3 comments:

DCMetroreader said...

Congrats on the books! It sounds like you are really looking forward to reading them.

Thanks also for the thoughts on the Kindle DX vx. the Nook. Quick question, I bought my mother a Kindle DX for Xmas & she wants to know how to delete books after she's done with them. Do you know how to do this? Thanks!

Amber said...

It sounds like you had your priorities straight - going to the bookstore, that is. Here, everyone would be rushing to the grocery or hardware store for the things they forgot to stock up on. :)

Anna said...

I don't have an e-reader and don't plan to get one anytime soon, but I do enjoy reading people's thoughts on them. Thanks for the comparison. Enjoy your new books!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric